I have always said I would never use Facebook to promote my blog. It was the one network I wanted to keep for personal use only. Of course I gave in and set up a Facebook page.
I’ve had my page about a month now, and it seems all I have learned in that time is what not to do.
The main thing I have learned is not to expect Facebook to bring traffic to your blog unless you already have thousands of people liking every post you make or you are willing to spend money.
Remember the days when if someone liked a page they were shown the posts? Not any more it seems.
I don’t begrudge spending money on my blog at all, but I have been thinking about this and I’m wondering if that money wouldn’t be better spent on something else.
Also, if I’m honest, it’s a bit of a pride (petty?) thing – if I am going to give someone money to promote something, I kind of want to give it to someone who promotes me anyway and doesn’t hold me to ransom.
It’s another of those things I say already knowing I’ll cave in and do it.
Anyway, that’s enough moaning. Here are some practical things I’ve learned:
- To get engagement, or to have your posts shown to people, you have to have some engagement. Sound impossible? There is a way (more on that later).
- The posts that are shown to the least people are posts with links in them, so it’s important to post other stuff too – status updates, photos, videos – pretty much anything people will be interested in.
- It’s not as simple as getting people to just engage with your posts. You have to have them engage pretty quickly after posting for it to have much effect.
- If people share your post to Facebook from your blog post, it improves your reach.
Overall, I’m not loving Facebook as a source of traffic. However, I’m sure it’s just another learning curve as a lot of bloggers say the majority of their traffic comes from Facebook.
I wouldn’t recommend it as the first network you tackle, but it’s worth having a page, you never know when the algorithms might change again and work in your favour. In the meantime, Becky from Cuddle Fairy has a fantastic post about how to grow your Facebook likes.
The one thing I do love about Facebook is the blogger groups. They are fantastic for building your social media, growing your traffic and having a community of like minded people around to help each other out and share advice.
There are two I join in daily:
- Blogger Club UK ran by myself, Becky from Cuddle Fairy, Laura from Life With Baby Kicks and Clare from Mudpie Fridays and our fab team of admins.
- UK Awesome Bloggers ran by Zena from Zena’s Suitcase
There are daily threads to promote your Twitter, Facebook (this is the part where you can get that all important first engagement), Pinterest, Instagram, blog comments and more.
Both groups have a lovely group of people who all reciprocate on the threads and don’t just link dump. If you want to promote your blog and social media, these are both great start places.
Do you use Facebook for promoting your blog? Does it work well for you? If so, why not share some tips in the comments 🙂